Green Berry Breakfast Smoothie
Breakfast is an important meal, even if you have it later in the morning. When you are striving to eat more plants, a breakfast smoothie is an easy way to consume about 3 or 4 servings of the total daily requirement of 9 servings.
We have several options for smoothies on this site because we want you to have variety. But variety is necessary not only so you won’t get bored, but also to ensure you get a full complement of nutrients. Mixing up the ingredients you use provides the body with different nutrition. This is why we encourage our patients to eat seasonally. Eating fruits and vegetables in season will assist you in getting a full variety of nutrition from your diet.
I hope you enjoy this smoothie. Let me know of any alternative ingredients you use that make for a delicious outcome. Maybe we’ll name our next smoothie after you!
- 2 cups organic baby spinach or organic greens of choice – baby kale is a nice option.
- 1 cup frozen mixed organic berries of berries of choice – raspberries or blueberries add great flavor.
- 1 organic banana
- 1/2 cup of unsweetened organic almond milk or plant based milk of choice. You can add more milk if you like your smoothie thinner. If you like it thicker and colder, consider adding some ice.
Note:If you don’t have plan based milk on hand you can replace it with 1/2 cup of filtered water and 1/2 cup of organic nuts of your choice. Cashews are probably your best choice because they are a little sweet and will provide the creamiest texture. Put the nuts in the blender last and blend until you don’t “hear” them banging around in the blend anymore.
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of ground cardamom or cinnamon (optional)
- Place plant based milk, greens of choice, berries and banana in a high speed blender on the lowest setting, advancing up to the highest speed until everything is fully blended.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top if desired.
Dr. Vikki Petersen DC, CCN
IFM Certified Practitioner
Founder of HealthNOW Medical Center
Author of “The Gluten Effect”
Author of eBook: “Gluten Intolerance – What You Don’t Know May Be Killing You!”